|BWM treatment system
Ballast Water treatment systems must have a type approval certificate in compliance with the IMO Guidelines for the Approval of Ballast Water Management Systems (Resolution MEPC. 174(58)), which updated Resolution MEPC.125(53)). There are a number of approved ballast water treatment systems available and there are many more systems which are expected to be submitted for test and approval in the near future;
there will be significant lead times for some of the more popular systems, particularly in the year leading up to entry into force of the BWM Convention.
When selecting a treatment system, you need to consider many factors:
– ship type
– max and min ballasting and de-ballasting rates
– ballast capacity
– space required (foot print and volume)
– flexibility of location of system components
– the effects of pressure drop
– integration with existing systems
– whether it is certified intrinsically safe
– power availability
– health and safety
– effects on tank structure/coatings
– availability of consumables, spares and support (servicing)
– additional crew workload
– crew training
– capital and operating cost
– system availability and delivery time.
Download and compile the Checklist, Zephyr will help you to design the BWTS best fitting your ship.